Sunday, April 20, 2014

Exploring Boracay Above and Under the Sea
















I've been to Boracay so many times already but it's my first time to try very exciting activities. Most people know that I am TERRIFIED of heights and yet, I love facing this fear by riding rollercoasters, jumping from cliffs, etc. And this time, I rode up in the air with only a parachute attached to me. The funny thing is, I did not get scared. Thank you to Ms. Ann for giving me the push to try it out. We soared gradually and up above, it was very peaceful. There were few gusts of wind which had me rattled for a moment or two, but other than that, it was pure bliss. We saw the whole island and it was perfect.

Another worth-it activity was the helmet diving. I've always been eager to try this but my previous companions were not that interested. Then again, I did not really push them to do this since I tried snorkelling in Boracay before and the marine life was quite ordinary compared to the other reefs I've seen. But this year, my companions were game to the max. So down we went. The water was cold and I had difficulty going underwater. There was a guide who helped us go down the ladder one by one but by the time I was submerged, I panicked. It was a bit like claustrophobia as I had only this helmet to breathe and I pretty much can't escape in a snap. I was so ready to go back up and to hell with the money I shelled out but good thing that the guide did not give up on me. As soon as my feet touched the sand, I calmed down (but I was still thinking "this is 15 freaking minutes?! damn, I don't have a watch."). Ironic that I freaked out more with the helmet diving than the parasailing. The experience was pretty much fun. We saw Nemo, lots of parrot fish and a dozen others I could not identify. We also fed the fish (which I don't really agree with) so they surrounded us within minutes. It's just a bit sad that there was only about one square meter of live corals where the fish can be found. If you look far and beyond, it's just rocks and dead corals.

I would definitely try these activities again. Hopefully, in another paradise.

*****

Parasailing rate: P1300 per person
Helmet Diving rate: P700 per person

I think the rates were a bit high but since it's summer and we really wanted to do it, we just agreed with the manong.

_____________________________________________________________________________

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” 

– Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment