Friday, March 7, 2014

Wicked: The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz






Are people born wicked? Or do they have wickedness thrust upon them?

I couldn't be happier that I am an impulse buyer. Thank goodness! Because of this, I bought tickets to the musical of the season - Wicked. And indeed, it was like one short day in the emerald city. Every centavo was definitely worth it.

Jemma Rix (Elphaba) truly defied gravity. Her character was funny and she was beautiful in her own witchy way. And I loved Suzie Mathers' (Glinda) quirkiness, vanity and enthusiasm. My favorite scene aside from Defying Gravity was Popular. <3

The songs were beautiful and catchy. I actually listen to the soundtrack day and night even if it's already been days since I watched the show. Of course, I am that impressed as I am the girl who can break glass when I sing. I'm limited that way.

I am now enlightened how the scarecrow and the tin man came about. It was tragic but inevitable. Unfortunately, my curiosity about the lion was not satisfied. I wonder where the lion with no courage came from. Hmm.

Overall, I loved that the musical was funny, sad and happy in different parts. I somehow pity Glinda and I now understand how Elphaba became the Wicked Witch of the West. I also find Nessa's story unfortunate. Imagine, she was a cripple all her life and when she could finally walk, Boq left her and Dorothy's house squished her! And that's not all, she was also labelled the Wicked Witch of the East. How sad.

And since I left the theater on a high and I can't get over the wonderful wonderful play, I googled everything I wanted to know about it. I am probably the only person who doesn't know that Idina Menzel was the original Elphaba! And guess who Glinda was? It's Kristin Chenoweth. Who? I remember her from Pushing Daisies and Glee and I was like "who is she?". My cousin replied that "she's a good broadway actress and she could definitely sing". And she's right. I have the soundtrack from the original cast and she was amazing in that tiny high-pitched voice that she has.

Now, I know why Wicked is pop-u-ler. And I feel that because of this play, I have been changed for good.

If this musical comes to your country, you should definitely watch it. It's something you wouldn't want to miss.









No comments:

Post a Comment