There is no need to dread my birthday. I've been so pressured about coming short with my accomplishments that I panic when I realize that I'm turning a year older and I'm not moving forward. But the thing is, I've come a long way already. The pressure I've been feeling is coming from me and no longer from my dad. My dad made it clear that I can do anything I want at my own pace, in my own way. So now that it's the holy week and everything, I realized that I should stop moping and enjoy my birthday, after all, I'm quarter of a century already (oops, that made me sound ancient).
I originally intended to do something worthwhile to mark my 25th birthday. I wanted to do something good and charitable with an orphanage or something. But I was so busy I barely had the time to breathe, what more to brew a plan. So I guess I'm just taking this time to reflect on the things I achieved and be thankful with everything I have.
25 Things I Learned in my 25 Years of Existence
- Family will always be family - No matter how big an argument we have and no matter how big the rift is, my family will always be there. Maybe, not physically there but I will always end up with them. After all, they are irreplaceable. And imagine, at this age, I still call my mom whenever I stub my toe or I have a bleeding wound on me or when my hyperacidity is raging like crazy.
- Lessons can be learned from games - Example: Candy Crush. I can say patience and perseverance are the key lessons I learned from Candy Crushing. I'm sure many will agree with me. Haha. (Warning: side effects include addiction and candy dreams)
- Forgiveness will set you free - I kept asking myself a hundred million times how to do this thing called forgiveness. Time helped me and eventually it just happened. And believe me, I feel a whole lot lighter when I did forgive.
- Comparing with others will only make you miserable - I was miserable and it did me no good. Remember, there are always people better out there than you are. But this should not stop you from doing your best, just stop comparing notes.
- Retail therapy may sound fun and relaxing but it's one big headache - So I'm feeling a little down now so I do a little bit of shopping here and there. And after a couple of weeks, I ask myself why I bought Ray Ban sunnies or a Skagen watch only to watch it sitting pretty on the dresser. And then I get bill shock when I get my bill (not a pretty picture).
- Pets are a gift from heaven - They will be there for you when you're happy, sad and even crazy. Even if they don't feel like it but I just need someone to cuddle or tease, they will stay by your side. So when they have to return to heaven, we have to let go so they can fly back to heaven.
- Learn how to be comfortable on your own - I'm a social type of person and I always want company. But it's also nice to be on my own sometimes. I should not depend on other people to make me happy, to give me what I want, etc.
- I may have tons of friends but I only have a handful I can trust - My highschool girls are included in this handful lot. I know if my world crashed down on me, I could run to them. After all, they've seen all the crazy phases of my life.
- Love is not always romantic - It's not always about candlelit dinners or a bunch of roses. Sometimes, it's just sitting in front of the TV watching the latest TV series (from One Tree Hill to The Vampire Diaries).
- Diamonds are a girl's bestfriend - not! - My grandmother gave me her cheapest (I guess) rock and it made me feel really pretty and all. But really, how can a rock show who you really are? It's just an ornament. Thanks lola, it just made me realize that I'm not that materialistic.
- All actions have either consequences or rewards - This is pretty basic. Whether it's as simple as being glued to a book and barely having enough sleep, or munching on that Lay's salt and vinegar chips and suffering dysmennorhea, just make sure that you won't be having regrets.
- Time is gold - Trust me, this is one thing I should have valued a long time ago. But no regrets. Time is indeed gold so get your butt moving and stop lazing around the couch.
- Your birthday will always be remembered as long as there's Facebook. Thank you to all those who greeted especially those who remembered without the reminder from Facebook. Love you all!
- Love yourself but not in a vain narcissistic way. It is important that we realize the value of ourselves. If we love ourselves, others will follow suit. (Affirmation: I am love, I am lovable, I am loving.)
- Highschool will always be fun, college wild and life as a yuppy is far from my expectations! See for yourself :)
- Your school or university will not define who you are. It helps to come from one of the top schools but hardwork and determination are needed to survive the corporate jungle.
- Having a good working relationship with the bosses is a very good thing. It keeps me motivated, inspired and happy. Who wants a screaming boss who will throw you to the hyenas? Thank God my bosses are tame (but strict).
- It is not practical to wear three-inch stilletos while riding the MRT. Be ready to take a cab and pay more than half of your salary of the day to the cab driver. :(
- Some things just simply end. Friendships, relationships, TV series. The only thing we can do is reminisce. So cherish the people and stuff we have right now while we still have them!
- Saving is important!!! It's important to be liquid enough so I have money to spend in case an emergency came up (I hope not), or an impulse adventure will be taken. We'll never know when we'll need cash.
- Learning is a never-ending process. We learn from our parents, from our teachers, from our bosses, from our friends, from books, from the internet, everywhere. Take the opportunity and learn!
- Don't expect! Expectations are bound to ruin everything. Just go with the flow and be happy.
- Heartache is inevitable. Crying a river and drinking won't ease the pain but it will help.
- Taylor Swift rocks! I've been a Taylor Swift fan ever since her first single came out. I don't care how many boys she dated or how many rumors people throw at her, I love her!
- Ryan Gosling is the hottest guy ever. Nuff said. (Well, there's Chris Hemsworth as well.)
And I'm sure I learned more than those but these are the ones I thought of right away. Well, number 25 more or less belongs on the top of the list.
Ciao! Now, I'll enjoy the last few hours of my birthday!
God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.
The way I see it, you should live everyday like its your birthday.