Saturday, January 19, 2013

Les Misérables Movie

Finally, Les Miserables is now showing in the Philippines! After more than two weeks of delay, I watched the movie on its very first day! It is definitely one hell of a movie. I think it is much better than the play (well, it's been more than ten years since I last saw the broadway play on VHS and I also saw the 2010 concert while waiting for the movie). There is more acting and the story is easier to follow in the movie.

I was surprised when Anne Hathaway (Fantine) started singing. She can sing really good and when she sang, I had goosebumps all over my arms (did you know that she was offered the part of Christine Dae for The Phantom of the Opera?). I was also impressed with Russell Crowe (Javert). Tani was laughing at me and was saying that I found Russell Crowe good because we are cut from the same cloth (for those who do not know me, I suck at singing). Well, I liked him better than Hugh Jackman (Jean Valjean). Hugh Jackman was also good but I felt that someone else could have sang his part better (Russel Crowe???). There were some lines which he was whispering or narrating the lyrics instead of singing it and his voice was not that whole (Or was my judgment clouded becase Valjean in the concert was standing-ovation good?).






Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) was very pretty. She did so good with Mamma Mia and now there's a tremble in her voice when she's hitting the high notes. I wonder what happened there. And there's the rumor that Taylor Swift was offered Cosette's role but she turned it down. Oh Taylor, why oh why. Samantha Barks (Eponine) played the same character in the concert and the movie. It's nice to see she  was able to show the grief of Eponine in the movie. And the thing that struck me the most (and other viewers as well) is her itsy bitsy tiny waist! Isn't it incredibly small and a bit of a bother at times??? And last but not the least, Eddie Redmayne (Marius). When I saw several interviews before the film came out, my initial thought was why would they get someone dorky to play the dashing young Marius. But in the movie, I admit, he's kinda cute and he is more likable when he sings.




Oh, and let's not forget the eccentric Helena Bonham Carter (Madame Thénardier). She fit her character perfectly! She was one character you would love to hate and make you laugh at the same time.


And once again, I got teary-eyed towards the end. When Jean Valjean died and Fantine fetched him, and everyone was singing, the scene was just moving. They were now all together and they were happy. And the transition from darkness to light felt like a heavy burden was lifted.

*Note: All photos are from the Facebook fan page of Les Miserables.

____________________________________________________________________________

I dreamed a dream in times gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung

No comments:

Post a Comment