Sunday, June 30, 2013

Tarzan: The Musical

I grew up watching plays by the Ateneo Children's Theater and the Repertory Philippines' Children's Theater. And I fell in love with the theater and musicals when I saw my first Broadway musical when I was eleven - Miss Saigon. So I was filled with glee when I got tickets to see the latest play by Viva Atlantis: Disney's Tarzan.

The cartoon Tarzan was released back in 1999 and I was not really that fond of the movie since the story was a bit too wild for my taste. But boy, I was surprised when I saw the play. Everyone did a great job of giving justice to the characters and the songs. I am never a Rachel Ann Go fan, but now, I am one! I did not expect her to do a great job in acting but I discovered she is a natural. I was taken by Jane Porter the moment she sang her first song. Singing and acting at the same time is no easy feat. Her diction was also clear and good. And to have all those lines memorized and adding a little humor in certain parts? Hands down, I was impressed!

Tarzan was played by former Glee star Dan Domenech (although I can't remember him in Glee). It was fun watching him swinging on stage. And he portrayed Tarzan in a way that made me like the story.

The props were very simple but it did its job in helping the audience visualize the setting and follow the story. At least the focal point were the actors and their singing and dancing.

I was particularly fond of the little Tarzan and the little Terk. They are so talented at a very young age. Kudos to the kids who realize their dream early in their lives.

I can't wait to see the next play of Atlantis Productions. See you soon Rock of Ages!
Photo from Atlantis Prod Facebook Page
Photo from Atlantis Prod Facebook Page

________________________________________________________________________________
I love all of the arts. I love motion pictures. I love stage. I love theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment